"Travelling with the Boss" - Shital's interview - Marie Claire India, April, 2013

                                                    Travelling with your Boss


Q: I follow Bollywood gossip as closely as I do marketing trends. Can I read a film magazine on the plane if seated with my boss? A: It’s dependent upon three factors – your job, your industry and the rapport you share with your boss. Take the first factor - as a marketing professional you are expected to stay in tune with the latest industry trends and a few minutes spent on a film magazine is fine. Next consider your industry - if you are working in a creative field (e.g. fashion, media, publishing or journalism) reading about current trends/ news is again a part of your job whereas in traditional businesses (e.g. legal, consulting or financial services) Bollywood gossip is not relevant to your role. Next, consider the rapport you share with your boss – if your boss is a Hindi movie buff, he/she will be happy to hear bits of gossip from your film magazine; on the other hand if he/she displays no visible interest in movies, it’s best you read a book or work on your laptop.
Q: I just spent the day in soul-crushing meetings. Do I have to spend the night drinking with my boss at the hotel bar? A: Not at all. In the evening, enjoy a quick drink/ meal with your boss and excuse yourself. Tell your boss that you have to prepare for your next day’s meetings and have to reply to some urgent emails. Also, if possible, shift the evening venue from the hopping hotel bar to the more sober specialty restaurant.

Q: What's the best way to bend my boss's ear about my ideas without pestering her? A: As a committed professional, be consistent and creative with your ideas and your boss will value you as a team member.
Q: Between meetings, my boss asks me to spill the hot office gossip. What to do? A: Tread carefully as this can become a one-way street! It’s your choice but do consider the two options. Option A – share all the nasty things you’ve heard at the water-cooler; your boss will enjoy hearing them but it will erode his trust in you. Also, he will view you as a team-member who is wasting precious office time on gossip. Option B - share a few nuggets of gossip which are an open secret in the office grapevine and pretend to know no more, retaining your professional image.
Q: What do I do if my boss starts confiding in me about his/her family problems? A: You can safely assume that your boss trusts you if he confides in you. Patiently hear his problems, show empathy and resist the urge to offer advise. Also, don’t break his trust by sharing ‘hot news’ about him with your colleagues.  

Q: My male boss invited me to his hotel room to go over our presentation. Any chance he's using "PowerPoint" as a euphemism? A: Politely suggest to your boss that the coffee shop serves an excellent cappuccino - your boss will get the hint. On a business trip, discuss business at public places i.e. hotel’s lobby, coffee shop, airport lounge, business centre, etc. When travelling alone withy your boss, never visit your boss’s room.   

Comments